Sunday, December 09, 2007

Second Sunday of Advent

Isn't this a cute nativity scene? Hailey painted it when she was in 2nd grade at church. Yes, the decorating has begun and we might be about half way through, though I'm not really sure. The poor tree is still waiting to have it's lights finished.

However, Christmas has been trickling in already. I have received three subscriptions as gifts and two of them already sent the magazines. And yesterday the postman brought me a package from my Secret Stocking Santa. Now, I don't get to open anything yet, except for the box it came in. She sent this pretty stocking, plus the sparkly hanger. The stocking is filled up, but there were a few items that didn't fit that I put on the mantel. We all get to open them on the 20th and have a chat session.


I got to take a break from the Christmas chores yesterday after I made sure that everything that needed to be mailed out was made, wrapped and ready to go. Then I had some to time to work on blocks for the guild. The first is this redwork block for the BOM. I was inspired after winning that gorgeous quilt from Linda. As you can see, this pattern isn't nearly as glamorous, but I did it and it's okay. I don't think I'll be doing anymore though, at least not without a good lesson from someone who is much better at it than I am.

I also started on the next QOYO block. Well, all I can say is that I won't be taking any pictures and I have visions of things being thrown into the trash. My only real remorse is the thought of the fabric I used going to waste, but the pieces are so small I don't think they can be salvaged. I'd be lucky if I could come up with eight 1" cut squares from all of it. I'll see what I can do. And now, since it is a "quilt of my own" I need to come up with a different block that might have a similar feel to it. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something very quick and easy as I'm running out of time now.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on something just for fun...the Christmas WH kit I won at the All-nighter. I've already started cutting pieces for it. Tomorrow I'll go back to being a Christmas elf and making and making and making things. But today, other than decorating, I'm taking a break. That is unless one of you comes up with the perfect idea for a QOYO block.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Three subscriptions, you lucky girl. Your parcels look lovely, and your redwork block is adorable. You know the old saying practise, practise, practise, well it's true. That's all it takes to become accomplished in redwork. I'm not sure I can help you with the block cause I'm not sure what the theme is.

~Niki~ said...

Come join the new blog ring! You can find it listed at the top of my blog http://nikisventures.blogspot.com/
I also started a new top site if you want to join that. :) HUGS. The ring is for quilters. The topsite is for anyone really that creates/crafts. :) Spread the word! we're trying to get more members.