Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Happy Feet

Gentry wanted a penguin quilt for his birthday because he loves Happy Feet. I had a terrible time finding a cute penguin fabric. Finally found the dancing penguins on blue fabric at the AQS show in Paducah, but it was part of a pillowcase kit along with the red and the black/white striped. So, I got two kits. Then I found an applique pattern of the dancing penguins, it was very "folk art" looking with earthy tones, felt and button hole stitches, but they were dancing so I knew I could use it. I decided to do the watercolor technique for the water, ice, mountains and sky. And the bow tie blocks were a must because I kept thinking... penguins... tuxedos. I added snowflake buttons and then some penguin buttons on mountain in the background. He loved it. I'm so glad as it was a bit of work.

No comments: